It is now clear that the Internet of Things is the future. Its recent growth indicates that the market is starting to adopt this technology. There are plenty of IoT compatible devices out there, smart ACs, TVs, refrigerators and many other household appliances as well.
However, as the technology is new, there are some challenges that need to be overcome if it is to go mainstream. Security is one of the serious obstacles. The good news is that there are plenty of security technologies being developed, but this is not enough, consumers have to take some steps as well in order to improve the security of the entire IoT world.
Let’s take a look at some of the IoT technologies in development, and see what people can do to stay safe with IoT devices in their homes.
As developers are understanding the risks that come with these new IoT platforms, there are several different types of security measures being taken. Let’s take a look at them.
- Network security– The problem with network security lies in the big difference between the IoT network and the regular online network. The whole infrastructure utilizes a variety of different protocols to enable communication between various devices. This increased number of protocols is what creates problems in the IoT world. However, companies such as Cisco are working hard on making it as safe as possible.
As this is a complicated process, it will take some time before truly effective measures of security are going to be implemented, however, some of them are already in place, ensuring a safe future for IoT.
- Authentication implementation – Authentication protocols are already used in many devices. This ensures that a home appliance is not going to be accessible by anyone other than the owner. The authentication security layer plays an important role in IoT security, and will become even more important in the future, as the number of IoT devices increases.
- Encryption – This is a commonly used method of protection in the online world. As devices communicate continuously via the IoT network, it is essential that information sharing remains intact. The same goes for stationary data on the device. The better the encryption becomes in the future, the more secure the IoT networks are going to become.
- Security analytics – Having all types of security deployed on the network without capturing data is pointless. There are no information that shows what parts of the network are being attacked and whether those attacks were a failure or a success. Therefore, the implementation of security analytics is essential for the security of IoT devices. With enough data collected, it is easier to notice when, where and how a system has been compromised. This ensures future development of security, completely locking the network from outside attacks. This is a very important step in IoT security.
- API security – Popular growth of APIs is of great importance for the IoT networks. As devices communicate with one another, they can utilize different applications that support different types of APIs. This ensures that a higher level of security is automatically achieved, keeping all of the intruders outside the communication protocol. APIs will develop more in the future, ensuring better security for every device connected to the IoT network.
It is clear that the IoT industry is facing plenty of challenges, but big companies such as Cisco, Google, Apple, Kaspersky, Gemalto, Linux Software Technologies, and others, are working hard on making the IoT world as secure as possible.
However, there is more action that can be taken from the side of the consumers.
Everyone is excited about the growth of IoT, including the consumers. The new technology makes it easier for people to conduct daily obligations. However, there is a crucial element missing in the whole story, and that is education.
When the internet started gaining popularity, there were plenty of data breaches, but also, many people got to understand what malware and computer viruses are. They felt the disastrous effects of what malicious software can do, and they started learning about the best steps to stay away from malware.
The same applies for IoT networks. Understanding a bit more about how the whole system works can significantly help the users remain safe. Nowadays, a majority of problems arise from the gullible attitude some people have towards this technology; they take it for granted. Providing an individual with a single password can have serious security repercussions. The same goes when an untrustworthy device is connected to the IoT network; the security walls simply come down.
Therefore, it is essential for the consumers to better understand the new wave of technology that is conquering the world. It will help everyone remain more secure, until the abovementioned security measures are completely developed.
It is clear that IoT currently faces some security challenges, but that is going to change in the future, as systems become more robust and secure. Additionally, once the consumers understand the risks that the platform brings, they are going to know how to stay safe and keep their privacy secure.